PLEASE NOTE: Until further notice, our offices will remain open during normal business hours. To ensure the safety of our clients, we are recommending contacting us by phone as your first option, though we are available to meet in person if necessary, and are taking all proper precautions in such cases. As always, initial phone consultations are always free.

Workers’ compensation for federal employees

Employers are required to provide insurance coverage for their employees that covers workplace injuries and occupational illnesses. The Federal Employees’ Compensation Act provides benefits to civilians who work for the federal government, and this act offers civilian federal employees in North Carolina benefits when suffering an on the job injury.

The FECA covers accidents, disabilities and illnesses that are a result of a worker’s job, and benefits are also available to family members when a workplace injury results in the death of an employee. Generally, a worker can receive benefits even if the worker’s actions caused an injury. However, this does not apply if the employee intentionally tried to injure himself or herself. Workers are also not entitled to compensation if they are deliberately breaking rules or intoxicated.

Under the FECA, employees can select where they want to receive care and a treating physician. An injured worker cannot change his or her mind and switch doctors without authorization, but a worker is allowed to see a different doctor with a referral from the original physician. The medical benefits an employee is entitled to include medical and surgical services, transportation costs and supplies for treatment. The type of physicians workers’ compensation benefits pay for include surgeons, clinical psychologists, osteopathic practitioners, dentists and podiatrists.

Whether one works in the public or private sector, receiving the workers’ compensation benefits one is entitled to can sometimes be difficult. Injured employees may want to speak with an attorney who can help ensure their best interests are met. This can include providing representation at an appeals hearing if the claim is denied or contested.

Source: U.S. Department of Labor, “CA-11 When Injured at Work Information Guide for Federal Employees”, accessed on Feb. 24, 2015

FindLaw Network